Fact-based news that challenges political memes and fights against hate speech
As a founding member of the International Media Development Advisers which trouble-shoots media problems in challenging environments, I work to help people develop their own versions of journalism and democracy.
Video by Austin Choi-Fitzpatrick for Central European University’s Good Drone Lab in Budapest, August 2014. It documents the biggest demonstration in 25 years, against the government’s new tax on internet usage. The Orban regime quickly withdrew its tax proposal.
RECENT BLOG POSTS
In Africa, “journalists as a part of civil society have fallen off the radar,” according to Heather Gilberds, a Canadian media developer who works in Africa. Radio is still the most popular medium in sub-Saharan communities, she says. Africans don’t listen to radio...read more
When our honest, contentious, eye-opening meeting was over, I was too preoccupied to post this. Here is what my colleague ended up writing about our INSIDE THE STRUGGLE conference, which was amazing....read more
The hardest thing about living in Hungary is the official government ideology of hate. Lots of people in nearby countries also embrace Orban’s intolerance toward the refugees; the Polish ambassador told me last night that 80% of Poles said they would like Orban to be...read more
My friend Seth Effron in North Carolina has been handed a dream assignment: figure out how to repurpose some campus buildings to help serve the cause of good journalism. Here is my dream for his project: Create the one and only tech hub devoted to creating journalism...read more
ABOUT THIS SITE
- Longer published reports and analyses are at Reports and Monographs.
- Published articles from my legacy media career may be available through an internet search, although some may remain pre-digital in newspaper archives.
- The Blog is where I expand on my HUMORus Twitter feed.
- Links offers resources about journalism quality, controversies, ethics and technology, as well as some excellent news and fact-checking sites, and related resources.
- Click here to contact me. In my next life, I will have time to deal with an interactive site. For now I will try to read your email message and respond to it.
Let Me Help You with Your Media Project!
If you need help with a project that involves writing, editing or media coaching; conference design, coordination or moderation; or assessment of civil society programs, please reach out to me. In the meantime, I hope you will find this an honest resource about media, values and democracy.