Fact-based news that challenges political memes and fights against hate speech
As a founding member of the International Media Development Advisers which trouble-shoots media problems in challenging environments, I work to help people develop their own versions of journalism and democracy.
Want to help us stop fake news from spreading? Here’s three simple ways (via FactCheck).
RECENT BLOG POSTS
—January 2018 What is the truth about journalism? Journalism is always a bit of a mess. People’s memories are usually flawed. Eyewitnesses differ about the same event. The moment a story passes from one person to the next, it changes. This is only human. And then...read more
Journalism has never been as easy as it looks. One day in 1940s, Los Angeles newspaper reporters were riveted by a report that came crackling over the police radio. A headless torso had just been found outside the city, in a gravel pit! Competing reporters from the...read more
In Africa, “journalists as a part of civil society have fallen off the radar,” according to Heather Gilberds, a Canadian media developer who works in Africa. Radio is still the most popular medium in sub-Saharan communities, she says. Africans don’t listen to radio...read more
When our honest, contentious, eye-opening meeting was over, I was too preoccupied to post this. Here is what my colleague ended up writing about our INSIDE THE STRUGGLE conference, which was amazing....read more
The hardest thing about living in Hungary is the official government ideology of hate. Lots of people in nearby countries also embrace Orban’s intolerance toward the refugees; the Polish ambassador told me last night that 80% of Poles said they would like Orban to be...read more
ABOUT THIS SITE
- Longer published reports and analyses are at Reports and Monographs.
- Published articles from my legacy media career may be available through an internet search, although some may remain pre-digital in newspaper archives.
- The Blog is where I expand on my HUMORus Twitter feed.
- Links offers resources about journalism quality, controversies, ethics and technology, as well as some excellent news and fact-checking sites, and related resources.
- Click here to contact me. In my next life, I will have time to deal with an interactive site. For now I will try to read your email message and respond to it.
Let Me Help You with Your Media Project!
If you need help with a project that involves writing, editing or media coaching; conference design, coordination or moderation; or assessment of civil society programs, please reach out to me. In the meantime, I hope you will find this an honest resource about media, values and democracy.